NPORS Telescopic Handler Suspended Loads (N138)
This NPORS accredited course is aimed at delegates who require a understanding of the operational and safety requirements applicable to suspending loads using a telescopic handler (telehandler).
By the end of this course delegates should be able to answer and perform the following:
- Have a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to conform to manufacturers requirements as per technical date, relevant regulations, and legalisation
- Be able to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions
- Be able to locate and identify the steering, driving and braking controls and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks in accordance with manufacturers and legislative requirements
- Safely mount and dismount the machine
- Start and stop the engine safely, move the machine off and stop it safely
- Configure the machine for travel and manoeuvre it safely laden and unladen, over varying terrain, rough ground, inclines, in open and confined spaces
- Conduct all safety checks at the work area
- Manoeuvre the machine to the work area and correctly configure in readiness to carry out lifting and load handling tasks
- Be able to locate, identify and explain safe working loads, lifting capacity chart and explain how the manufacturer may reduce the lifting capacity when moving a suspended load, different lifting configurations and working ranges
- Identify and explain different lifting procedures, explain what task could fall into each category
- Identify and explain centres of gravity and calculate estimated weights of loads
- Identify any overhead/proximity hazards
- Be able to signal codes/hand signals, direction of movement, safe working, and safe landing placement zone with the slinger/signaller
- Ensure telescopic handler is in a safe condition and attachments fitted correctly
- Checked load integrity and security
- Be able to lift and move a load to a designated position in a safe and controlled manner, ensuring minimum uncontrolled movement
- Environmental considerations
- Carry out all out of service and securing procedures
Maximum number of learners
Experienced Worker Test: 6
Novice: 5 days
Refresher: 1 day
Experienced Workers Test: 1 day
Theory question paper.
Delegates will be awarded a NPORS ID card, valid for 5 years.
If required, a certificate of attendance can also be provided at an additional charge.
We run this course at our premises in Newry and for our clients across Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic of Ireland at their premises or a suitable site of their choosing.
*The following course(s) have been registered by CITB NI for grant assistance to registered in scope employers